It occurred to me this morning that I love September.
Why? It’s the most fun sporting month of the year. My social media feeds have been filled with this:
- Local netty GF photos and live streams – from rural Victoria to Cairns;
- Photos of my friend’s sons and daughters with huge smiles at their junior club presentation days and break ups; and
- Family car trips and bus trips to school holiday state carnival footy, BMX and netball carnivals (oh those bus trips….).
Then there’s the:
- Busy days for my friends and family in sports administration as they work towards the biggest day of the year, a culmination of a year of work;
- Classic, nail-biting, knock out finals games weekend after weekend (hello Cowboys v Broncos) and the screaming from the couch at the TV as the season comes to an end (hello Penrith);
- BBQ’s firing up across the neighbourhood and dress ups on NRL and AFL GF days;
- Office glory as the we crown new winners of the footy tipping competition (have I told you I’m a two time winner?).
Sport is a bond that brings family, friends and communities together. It makes us laugh, cheer and cry. It teaches us about winning and losing and dedication and sportsmanship and teamwork. That’s why I love sport and September is when it all comes to the fore.
Maybe we should rename it Sportstember? Enjoy the rest of your month!