One of my very early blogs on this site was my Sporting Bucket List. Which prompted one of my mates to ask me what were the most memorable sporting events I had BEEN to. This is a tough one.
I have been lucky enough to have crossed off a lot of major sporting events off my bucket list already but the big events aren’t necessarily the most memorable. I am reminded of my Awesome Sporty People blog with Sharon Finnan-White where she listed her most memorable sporting moment when her son came 4th in his primary school 800m.
So I’ve decided to do two lists – one for big ticket, bucket list items and one for those moments close to my heart. So here are my Top 5 big ticket bucket list memorable moments (in no particular order)……
1. Tour de France – In 2008 I went on a trip with my Dad that took in the British Open and the final day of the Tour de France. To watch the final stage of the Tour on the Champs Elysee in Paris is an absolute buzz. Cadel Evans making podium made for extra excitement. What a city and what an atmosphere. I discovered a new found interest in the crazy world of professional cycling. I would love to go back one day and tour France following the tour (not riding – just eating and drinking thanks!).
2. Sydney 2000 Olympics – Cathy Freeman 400m gold medal – in the stands watching it live with my Mum . OMG the anticipation and the celebrations!
3. State of Origin at Lang Park (oops I mean Suncorp Stadium) – for those of us brought up on Origin your first live Origin game in this stadium is off the excitement dial. I have great memories as a uni student catching the bus and train from campus to Milton with one of my great mates (our favourite player was Bobby Lindner) as well as later memories going along with my Dad and of course recent years with my husband. It is still a buzz. Can’t wait to take my son when he’s old enough!
4. Bledisloe Cup at Eden Park, Auckland – goose bump moment = witnessing the NZ anthem at Eden Park before a Bledisloe Cup match. Simply spine tingling. Of course followed by the unforgettable haka.
5. Qld Firebirds back to back ANZ Netball league titles – Mum and I left the boys at home and made the epic journey out to Boondal for the game with good friends. Such a nerve-wracking up and down game going into double overtime to finally see Qld seal the win. I kid you not I had tears in my eyes on full-time with the drama of it all. And that does not happen often.
And finally an unlucky one not to make the top 5 is our weekend a few years back in Melbourne for the Australian Open – just pure fun and entertainment in a great city.
So they are my Top 5. Stay tuned for top “not so big but close to the heart” items in my next blog….Would love to hear your Top 5…